Written on April 13, 2013 – 12:54 am | by Helana Brigman
“I’m eating 1500 calories. Why am I still gaining weight?” ”Does menopause play a role in weight gain?” ”How much can I eat?” and, “How can I make DOMS more bearable?”
These are some of the questions Russ and Helana answer in Episode #146 of Fat 2 Fit Radio. Understanding the role diet plays in maintaining a healthy lifestyle kicks off the show. Russ emphasizes the importance of whole (unprocessed) foods that are low in sugar and fat, and Helana reminds listeners that “1,500 calories” is more than just tracking a set caloric goal, but a way to measure what kinds of foods we put into our bodies.
Russ checks in with Helana’s weight loss goals, motivation, and exercise as well as listeners Monica, Kim, Anna, and Dave. Russ then offers some suggestions for how to improve diet and exercise for listener Kim and how menopause might influence her fat 2 fit journey.
Helana provides her Pro / Con list for the Nike+ App (see here for the full transcript), and, on the web report, we hear how Louisiana ranks alongside other states (such as Mississippi) as the #4 most obese state in the nation. The topic of Louisiana obesity, food stamps, and low income families introduce serious grey areas with our nation’s health crisis.
We end with Russ’s tips for making “DOMS” (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) more bearable and his favorite new-fangled water bottle with a Brita filter built right in!
As always, take a look at the show notes for our recipe of the week, cited articles, listener stories, and other great reads. If you’re interested in what foods go into your body, don’t forget to signup for the Weekly Recipe Newsletter at Clearly Delicious.
- SparkPeople Fat 2 Fit Group
- Listener Ana’s “after” pic (Apr. 1, 2013)
- Listener Ana’s “before” pic (Jan. 8, 2013)
- Ana’s BodySpace Profile
- Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss
- Nike+ App Review (transcript)
- Nike + Running App Overview
- “Short and Long-Term Eating Habits Modification Predicts Weight Change in Overweight, PostMenopausal Women”
- “Louisiana Gets ‘F’ on Report Card for Obesity/Overweight Grade in Children”
- “Food Stamps and Obesity: What Do We Know?”
- “Examining a Paradox: Obesity and Food-Stamp Participation in Louisiana”
- “How to Recover from Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS)”
- Eating & Exercise Triangle Chart at Fat 2 Fit Facebook page
- Spicy Cajun Pork Loin at Clearly Delicious
- Sign Up for the Weekly Recipe Newsletter at Clearly Delicious!
- Alton Brown on the “Tender Pork Loin”
Motivational Quote of the Week:
“Reaching my goal doesn’t prove what I’m made of. Not quitting when I get discouraged along the way does.
I Decide.” – Anonymous
- – -
Keep up with Fat 2 Fit!
- Fat 2 Fit #145 – Running with Endomondo
- Fat 2 Fit Show #36 – Weight Loss Questions and Answers
- Fat 2 Fit #81 – Medications That Make You Fat
- Fat 2 Fit Show # 14 – Running for Fat Loss
- Fat 2 Fit #115 – Food Journaling Tips & Tricks