Written on March 17, 2013 – 11:38 pm | by Helana Brigman
In today’s episode of Fat 2 Fit Radio, Russ and Helana check back in with listener Caren about her fitness and weight loss goals before listening to a voicemail from a caller in Kennedale, TX. Helana reveals some good weight loss news, and Russ keeps things real with helpful advice for listeners James, Caren, and “Jolene.”
As a follow up to Episode 144, Helana gives a detailed Pro / Con list of the fitness App Endomondo and discusses this screenshot, noting that the app’s bells and whistles far surpass most fitness and exercise smartphone software—but—advertisements and “upgrades” may be a problem.
On the web report, Helana discusses a study performed by Meghan Lynch at the University of Toronto on the “Perceptions of Exercise and Food in a Community of Food Bloggers.” How women “health and wellness” bloggers discuss food, exercise, and their own body weight issues offer an illuminating example of ongoing problems around weight loss and healthy eating in our country. Fortunately, Lynch has some useful observations and both Russ and Helana offer some questions and advice.
Russ reviews several competing bills in New York and Mississippi that debate the availability of restaurants’ nutritional information to the public (see Calorie Count Laws for an idea of the debate). Pointing out that Mississippi tops America’s list of most “obese” states, Russ introduces how Bloomberg’s bill to eliminate super-sized sugary drinks in certain venues has caused further debate on this topic. How McDonald’s fits into this equation inevitably comes up.
See our links from the show notes below for articles and topics mentioned in the episode. While you’re at it, try Helana’s super-easy Kale Chips recipe or signup for the Clearly Delicious weekly newsletter with healthful recipes right in your inbox.
- SparkPeople Fat 2 Fit Group
- Courtney Cox’s “late night snack” (fast-forward to minute 1:00 for clip)
- MyoTape (Recommended by Caren)
- America’s Calorie Count Laws
- Judge Halts New York City’s Super-Sized Sugary Drinks Ban
- McDonalds Skirts Ban; Charges 10 Cents Per Happy Meal Toy
- Megan Lynch “From Food to Fuel: Perceptions of Exercise and Food in a Community of Food Bloggers”
- Men’s Fat Percentages by the Numbers
- Most and Least Obese U.S. States
- Pinterest’s Anorexia Dilemma
- “What’s the Interest in Pinterest” by Stuff Mom Never Told You
- State with Highest Obesity Rate Passes ‘Anti-Bloomberg Bill’ to Ban Food Regulation
- Goal Show 2012 – Jeff Only
- Alison’s Green Juice Detox
- Castelvetrano Antipasti
- Green Beans with Almonds
- Green Goddess Pizza
- Kale Chips (featured)
- Stuffed Avocados with Dip
Motivational Quote of the Week:
“Your body doesn’t care if your mind isn’t motivated. Results are the same with or without it. Just show up.” – Anonymous
- Fat 2 Fit 143 – Metabolic Adaptation
- Fat 2 Fit #146 – Menopause and Weight Loss
- Fat 2 Fit #142 – Returning with Updates
- Fat 2 Fit Show #7 – The World is Fat – Really, Really Fat
- Fat 2 Fit #147 – Weight Loss with Parkinson’s