Fat 2 Fit #144 – New Measurements Of Success

Written on March 3, 2013 – 12:00 am | by Helana Brigman

fat2fit cropIn Episode #144 of Fat 2 Fit Radio, Russ checks in with Helana and listener David about their fitness goals and recent progress, discussing past injuries and unhappy belly fat.

We also look at the 70+ listener suggestions for running apps at our Facebook page and will follow up next time with a comparison between RunKeeper and Endomondo.

Although improving her running speed and long-distance endurance, Helana’s nemesis, the “side-stitch,” continues to rear its ugly head right when her training gets interesting (usually about one-third to half the way in).  How to combat side-stitches, identify possible causes, and take advantage of “diaphragmatic breathing techniques” are addressed in the show.  Strengthening your core and being careful when you train help in avoiding not just side-stitches, but also “delayed onset muscle soreness” (“Doms”).

Russ checks in with Dr. Rick, who has 3 big suggestions for reducing cardiovascular risk.  Then, he turns his attention to a recent study on weight loss with “mobile app self-monitoring” devices versus traditional pen and paper.  When it comes to consistency and training, there might be an app for that.

See our links from the show notes below to try Helana’s Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin or signup for the Clearly Delicious weekly newsletter with healthful recipes right in your inbox.

Good Eats

Good Reads

Good to Know

Good to Try

None Found
  1. 9 Responses to “Fat 2 Fit #144 – New Measurements Of Success”

2. By pk on Mar 3, 2013 | Reply

Am enjoying the show more and more….
    But, thinking of starting the F2F drinking game for how many times
    Helana says ‘amazing’…its just ‘amazing’ or ‘awesome’….

Understand…not a criticism, but a comment for awareness in usage

Enjoying the female perspective…

Thanks for all your work!

3. By Sue Wanner on Mar 3, 2013 | Reply

Would really like an update on Russ.
    I love that the podcast is back and Helena has come to keep it going.
    I do miss Jeff, he was such a wealth of scientific information. Best wishes to him.
    Keep up the great work!

4. By Josie on Mar 4, 2013 | Reply

Hi Russ and Team, I am enjoying the new sound anf feel to show very much although a big thank you to Jeff for his many memorable comments. I have just logged onto the website for the first time and appreciated the short summary reminders for each episode. A small request; could you add the homework as an item after the quote, so I can remind myself more easily at a time when I can undetake the task. Thank you for keeping me focused on the positive and I want you to know the huge benifit you have had to keeping my health goals on track. Keep posting.

5. By Scott on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

Hey guys,
    Its great to have the show back. It has gotten me motivated again and back on track. I do not mind the longer podcast’s at all. Keep them coming. I have not heard Russ do his weigh in, whats up with that?

Scott

6. By Renata on Mar 5, 2013 | Reply

Thank you so much for the amazing podcast. I wish there were more of this here in Brazil.

7. By James on Mar 6, 2013 | Reply

Why not show a similar picture of different men with different body fat percentages?

8. By Brent on Mar 8, 2013 | Reply

I’m loving the show so much more with Helena on board! In retrospect, it’s crazy that FTF didn’t include a female host until now. She brings a humor, perspective and even a kind of erudition to the show that was lacking before. Great choice.

Regarding Rachel McLish’s book Flex Appeal, you can also find used copies on BookFinder.com — which is a great resource in general when looking for used books.

Brent

1. 2 Trackback(s)

2. Mar 3, 2013: Fat2Fit Radio | DavesLosingIt
  3. Mar 17, 2013: Fat 2 Fit Radio » Blog Archive » Fat 2 Fit #145 – Running with Endomondo