Fat 2 Fit 143 – Metabolic Adaptation

Written on February 13, 2013 – 11:51 pm | by Helana Brigman

o-JESSICA-ALBA-INSTYLE-570In today’s episode of Fat 2 Fit Radio, we check in with Helana and listener Caren about their body fat percentages, goals, and those hard-to-avoid numbers on the scale.

We respond to listener comments from episode 142 (no, muscle does not turn into fat) and discuss some ways Photoshop and magazine covers may disrupt how we understand the fat 2 fit lifestyle.  Helana explains her remarks on why the Jessica Alba InStyle cover gives her the “heeby-jeebies,” and we look at past Photoshop offenders like Shape Magazine and GQ.

Russ checks-in with listeners Patricia and Geri and discusses what it takes to look like “that girl” (Rachel McLish included).

On the web report, Russ goes over “metabolic adaptation” and how Clare West “ruined her metabolism.”  As always, why it’s important to eat than neglect yourself valuable nutrition comes up again and again.

See below for a list of references made during the show including the recipe of the week, Creamy Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese!

Good Reads:

Covers Worth Mentioning:

Food Stuffs:

Check out Caren:

Motivational Quote of the Week:

“It’s not that some people have willpower and some don’t.  It’s that some people are ready to change and others are not.” – James Gordon

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. 11 Responses to “Fat 2 Fit 143 – Metabolic Adaptation”

2. By Liz on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

I am so happy that you have returned with new episodes. I am in Afghanistan working on a military base and it take sometimes days to download the shows, but it is well worth it. Can’t wait to download the show.

3. By Nicole on Feb 14, 2013 | Reply

Guys, please be fair and acknowledge that I sent this email to you just a few hours after posting that comment. I appreciate that you kept me anonymous but I don’t mind my name being used as long as the full story is coming out. Especially after so much of the show was dedicated to my original comment.

“Russ and/or Helana,

I am the Nicole who posted a comment tonight on the latest show and I wanted to ask please, that when you go through to okay comments, please don’t let mine through. I really feel like I didn’t do an adequate job of representing myself or getting my point across in a kind, careful way, so please, when you do the moderating, just let that one pass. It came across as much more critical than I meant it to, when I really just wanted to be helpful. So if that one could just disappear, I’d be grateful. Thank you.

She who doesn’t always chew enough before swallowing

or think enough before speaking,

Nicole”

Russ, we spoke in email about this. Please be fair.

4. By Anna-M. Weber on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for a great new episode!
    I’m glad that Helana commented on the comments lefts by people after last episode and that she seems to be relaxed about it and stands her ground. Fantastic!
    Regarding retouching: I think it’s outrageous what shows up on magazine covers nowadays, especially in the US. Her ein the UK it seems to be slightly ‘better’. But there’s also another side of retouching which rarely gets talked about; who are those people who work as retouchers? It is normal people like me for example. I work in a record company and retouch our artist’s press and artwork images, amongst other things.
    This comment box is too little to write down all my thoughts, but I’d be happy to answer any questions if you have any. Feel free to email me.

Re: Sneaking veg into our comfort food =WIN!!! I recently found some great non-dough pizza recipes, which are yum-my!!!
    1) Cauliflower pizzadough: http://greatist.com/health/recipe-cauliflower-crust-pizza/
    2) Sweet potato pizzadough: http://www.jensinkler.com/sweet-potato-pizza/

All the best, Anna.

5. By Joseph on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

Glad you’re back

1) Thanks for sharing the constructive or critical comments.

2) In that spirit, Helana is great, but IMHO, you still need someone to fill Jeff’s shoes, at least temporarily. What made the show great was that you had Russ, to bring the regular guy’s perspective, and Jeff, who was a trainer/physical educator/well read on the science. I hate it when podcasts get too crowded, but bringing a good trainer on would add a lot of that back into the dynamic.

6. By Sue on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

FYI- The book, “Flex Appeal” that you reference many times in this episode is not the one that is $.99 on Amazon. The $.99 book was written in 2012 and is an “erotic short story” by someone named JL Edwards. The Rachel McLish book is only available used and not on Kindle.

7. By Russ Turley on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

The link to the McLish Flex Appeal book, that we talked about on the show, is in the show notes for this episode. We mentioned it was published in 1985. There is no Kindle version.

Show Notes —> http://www.fat2fitradio.com/2013/02/fat-2-fit-episode-143-metabolic-adaptation/

8. By Sue on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

You do repeatedly refer to the book as a $.99 e-book in the podcast though. Anyone searching Amazon not using your link (as I did) could end up with the wrong book if they don’t read the description.

9. By Helana Brigman on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

Sue – thanks for pointing this out. I think a lot of listeners may have stumbled across the issue you encountered.

To clarify, as I said on the episode, “Flex Appeal was written in the 80s…1985, I think,” and this book, although $1 (average / estimate), predates eBooks. The price is so cheap because it’s out of print and just an older book. I do not call Flex Appeal an eBook, and we have the link in the show notes. If you encounter anymore confusion, know that the author is “Rachel McLish,” the 80s women’s body building champion from the Ms Olympia competitions.

I hope you will checkout Rachel’s book if you’re interested in lifting heavy weights or understanding the “that girl” exercise and nutritional regime. I find it a fantastic primer for any woman interested in this kind of exercise (so, Sue, you might love Rachel’s book!). Plus, Rachel’s fun, personable style makes it easy to understand.

Does anyone have suggestions for books that might be similar to the 1985 Rachel McLish “Flex Appeal” that’s available as a book? Perhaps we can add these to our show notes or suggest them in another episode as well.

Sorry to anyone who’s finding the wrong book. Just keep the authors straight and the fact that the book is over twenty years old (it’s not available as a digital book), and I think we’ll be good to go!

10. By Helana Brigman on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

Anna – thank you for these awesome recipes! I’m going to add them to my “I didn’t know a vegetable could do that?!” board at Pinterest! Who knew you could sneak cauliflower into pizza dough? I’ve heard of the sweet potato idea (it’s great for so many breads), but cauliflower? This is ingenious!

As for retouching – I think this is an excellent question. I’m going to forward your suggestion to Cristen Conger at Stuff Mom Never Told You (checkout this podcast if you’re interested in similar topics), and see if she’ll add it to their bank of episode ideas. I, too, would love to know who these people are! Does anyone know someone who works in post-photo editing for print and digital media? Specifically, someone who could answer Anna’s question? I imagine you’re probably right – these people can be either “everyday people like you or me” or specifically-skilled photo editors…I’m very curious about this question….

11. By Caren on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

Hey Russ and Helana, that podcast was wonderful! Love you two, too! I was so worried about what my family & friends in real life (IRL) would think, but that doesn’t seem to be a problem, since most people haven’t listened, and the few who’ve listened have been so supportive. And my friends on SparkPeople have been great, of course! Much Love!

I’ve upped my calorie range to 1700-2000, and it’s great to eat more. I’ve been lifting more weights and boy are my arms tired!

I heard from my former personal trainer, Sarah on facebook. And she asked if I have a new personal trainer, and I told her I start with Brittney on Monday.

I bought a Ninja blender, and even got my 14-year-old picker eater son to drink a green smoothie: 1 cup grape juice, 2 kiwis, & a handful of spinach makes 2 servings.

I’m going on a cruise to Mexico in 10 months, Dec 22. And I want to lose 35 pounds by then. I want to look great in shorts and swimsuit, and have the energy to climb the ancient Mayan ruins.

OK, so now I said it, I have to do it.

Caren

12. By Stephanie on Feb 24, 2013 | Reply

Thank you for putting out podcasts again. I only discovered F2F in June 2012, and have listened to all the episodes several times. It has been instrumental in my developing a more balanced relationship with food. The Jeff and Russ combination was truly a special thing. I don’t think it is fair to any co-host to expect that person to fill Jeff’s shoes. I look at the new episodes as more of a new show, developing in its own style. I look forward to listening.