Fat 2 Fit #142 – Returning with Updates

Written on January 30, 2013 – 11:20 pm | by Helana Brigman

The female body is complicated and calculators can be tough.  Between body fat percentages, BMI, height, weight, and measurements, there are countless ways to measure and track the progress of your fit and healthy lifestyle.  But, what numbers should you look at exactly? When monitoring your progress, what other factors should you take into consideration? And, how might Fat2Fit’s online tracking tools help shine some light on this process?

In today’s show, Russ introduces Helana Brigman of the blog Clearly Delicious and book, The Fresh Table: Cooking in Louisiana All Year Round.  A fellow podcaster, Helana discusses the ways in which she, too, might respond to female listeners’ questions from a woman’s point of view.  Meanwhile, Russ gives the low-down on what’s really going on—although each woman is different, teaching her to understand her body fat percentages, BMR, and calorie intake + activity level remain key for the Fat2Fit lifestyle.

Russ and Helana take a few detours to discuss Paula Deen’s weight loss and the all fearful muffin top, and look forward to next week when Helana shares her measurements and fitness goals!

Links Mentioned in the Show:

Recipe of the Week

Best Ever Greek Salad at Clearly Delicious

Muffin Tops

“My Muffin Top is All That, Whole Grain, Low Fat, Don’t You Want a Piece of That?”

Motivational Quote of the Week:

“Of course it’s hard.  It’s supposed to be hard.  If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Hard is what makes it great.”  —Tom Hanks in A League of Their Own

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. 33 Responses to “Fat 2 Fit #142 – Returning with Updates”

2. By Leo on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Welcome back Russ! Welcome, Helana!

Great podcast!

3. By Jen on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Hooray! A new show! Can’t wait to listen.

4. By Anne Wasden on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

We really missed those podcasts! Thanks for pushing forward!

5. By Jessica on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

So glad to have you back, Russ, and it’s nice to meet you Helana! Thank you for all your hard work to keep this going!

6. By Helana Brigman on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

I’m so glad you guys are enjoying the first (new) show! It’s wonderful to be here and I’m so happy to be podcasting with Russ. And, might I say, YOU AND ME BOTH. I’ve been suffering from F2F withdrawal!!

7. By Dersula on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Glad you are back. Helana seems like an excellent addition. Just one note, please try not to repeat what the other person has just said! And do try to get Jeff to guest star! Best of luck to you all.

8. By Jay on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

So glad to have this back! Helena is a good addition but she has a tendency to repeat what Russ says and then talks too long for a comment. Also, she should check her facts – she stated muscle turns to fat, which is not true – they are two different types of cells which cannot interchange. I

9. By Angela on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Love it! So very glad you’re back. One questiong – what was the bell sounds in the background? At first I thought my car stereo was giving up the ghost! Thanks guys, can’t wait for the next episode. xx

10. By Russ Turley on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Absolutely muscle does not turn into fat. Helana knows the difference as well, so it’s not a matter of fact checking. The term “muscle turning into fat” is an often used colloquialism for losing muscle mass and gaining fat mass. Though, I was going to mention that on the next show as well, just so listeners don’t get confused. Good catch!

11. By Russ Turley on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Thanks Leo.

12. By Ola on Jan 31, 2013 | Reply

Welcome back, Russ and welcome Helena! Thanks guys for keeping the show going. Warm regards to Jeff and hope we get to hear from him again.

13. By Genina on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

WELCOME BACK! SO HAPPY YOU ARE! Hopefully Jeff will feel better enough to make it a threesome! Love Helana’s woman’s point of view! Good Luck on your future fitness journey! We feel for ya!

14. By Ross on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Yay! Welcome back and well done Russ on bringing Helana along for the ride. I really missed you guys!

15. By PK on Feb 1, 2013 | Reply

Yaay! Glad you’re back Russ and welcome to Helena– looking forward to a woman’s pov — all good!

16. By Gmf on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Just found you a week ago and am busily trying to catch up with all the podcasts. Wow – what a wealth of information!

My quick question is: If I resistance train and cut my calories to no lower than my BMR, will I preserve my lean muscle mass? Or do I have to make sure I have more calories to adjust for my activity level?

17. By johnnywood on Feb 4, 2013 | Reply

Right on!
    My favorite podcast is back!

18. By Fred on Feb 5, 2013 | Reply

It’s great to have the podcast back! I’ve been a fan and supporter of the show on my blog. It’s nice to have Helana join the team, too. She brings a new perspective and expertise, and I can identify with her current weight dilemma. I was the skinny kid who eventually got to be 50 lbs overweight (in my late 30s), when none of my clothes fit right and I was getting an exercise rash between my thighs when I used the treadmill! Helana certainly has the support and knowledge to take off the weight, and we’ll enjoy coming along for the ride.

Welcome back, Russ! We will be happy to hear from Jeff if and when he is ready, and looking forward to hear how some time and perspective improves the podcast.

19. By Terri on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

I’m so excited there is a new show! Thanks!

20. By Emma Milligen on Feb 6, 2013 | Reply

I was going to mention the “turning fat to muscle” thing as well! Glad it has been mentioned. Just wondering, is Helana going to have a spot on the “Hosts” page? I think she deserves to! Thanks for the podcast, it was so nice to hear something new after such a lonnngggg long break.

21. By Melitta Jakab on Feb 7, 2013 | Reply

I am new to following th podcasts and still catching up with the past episodes. I love them. Thank god, I found F2F so early on in my life-style overhaul. I started January with a firm weightloss goal of 30kg and put myself on 1200 cals until I started listening and adjusted my goals, expectations, attitude. I feel so much better, and for the first time in my life I feel I can do this. :) Thank you and please keep them coming. The shows really motivate me.

22. By Lee on Feb 7, 2013 | Reply

I am S-O-O-O Glad the F2F podcast is back. This was the best fitness podcast. Will miss Jeff but appreciate all of work he’s done on this podcast in the past.

23. By Chris on Feb 8, 2013 | Reply

SOOOOO excited to have ya’ll back!!!

24. By Clare on Feb 10, 2013 | Reply

Oh, the dreaded muffin top- I must say, tight jeans definitely do not help! Can’t wait to hear what you guys have to say about that.

25. By Keetha on Feb 11, 2013 | Reply

I’m so glad the podcast is back, and am really enjoying Helana’s contribution. I was surprised, too, though, to hear her say that muscle turns into fat – I thought surely on this podcast they’re not going to spread information that’s just wrong!

I’m already looking forward to the next episode – so glad it’s back.

26. By Russ Turley on Feb 11, 2013 | Reply

See my previous reply Keetha.

27. By Dustin McClure on Feb 11, 2013 | Reply

So excited the show it back!!!

28. By Chris on Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

I thought Helena did a wonderful job!!

29. By Shea on Feb 12, 2013 | Reply

Thanks for the super Greek salad recipe! I served it up tonight and my husband suggested we have this more often. It is definitely going to be a regular dish in this house. Not only do I have a new favourite meal, but also another great blog to read (Clearly Delicious) and have downloaded the Homemade Is Best podcast :). One question though, why aren’t the first 12 episodes up and how can I get them? Looking forward to more fat 2 fit!

30. By Alissa on Feb 15, 2013 | Reply

I’m so happy that the podcast is back! Fat2Fit has always been one of my biggest motivators and I’ve been seriously missing it!

31. By Angela Mitchell on Feb 16, 2013 | Reply

It’s good to have Fat 2 Fit podcasts back!!
    Russ, thanks for not letting this drop :)
    Welcome Helana, and best wishes to Jeff.

32. By Linda on Feb 17, 2013 | Reply

Glad you are back and I enjoyed Helana. :-) I wanted to make a comment on the body fat scale. If your scale has a athlete mode, that can make a difference in the readings. My body fat scale reads me at about 30% fat if not on the athlete mode, and at about 23-24% in athlete mode. My trainer’s calipers read me at about 22%. We tested it with my husband and in regular mode, he read at 18% and we couldn’t figure out where 18% could be on him! Changed the scale to athlete mode and he was at 11.5%.

Thanks for a great show!

33. By Safe Weight Loss on Feb 18, 2013 | Reply

I’ve been looking for podcasts such as this! Oh, and love the salad recipe…

34. By Andrea on Feb 20, 2013 | Reply

So glad you guys are back!!!! :) :) :)