Fat 2 Fit #141 – Eating Your Exercise Calories

Written on March 11, 2012 – 5:37 pm | by Russ Turley

The proliferation of apps on iPhones and Android devices has produced some great fitness apps. Tracking calories and tracking workouts becomes super easy with these apps. But each one has it’s own spin on how they track these activities. The most popular apps that listeners ask about are My Fitness Pal and Lose it!. These apps differ in philosophy from us, so listeners often ask about net calories, eating their exercise calories, etc. They are confused because this app that we recommended doesn’t fall in line with our recommendations. Stephanie wrote in asking this question, along with countless others, so we take a look at the differences between eating and exercising the Fat 2 Fit way and the app way. Also in the email and comments section of the show, multiple listeners wrote in about the Human Weight Simulator. Jeff’s gets geeky on this one and talks all about the tools mentioned.

On the Web Report, Russ talks about the book Wheat Belly. The discussion was spurred on by a post on our Facebook page from listener Terry. She read an article on The Huffington Post about wheat. Jeff talks about the website Pinterest, particularly the posts tagged as “fitness”. The ideal body for women has changed multiple times and currently it looks as though most of the women on Pinterest want to have muscular fit bodies. Meanwhile 50 years ago, instead of going on a diet, apparently we were interested in adding “flesh” to our skinny bodies.

Links Mentioned on the Show:
Wheat Belly book
Fitness on Pinterest
Vintage Weight Gain Advertisements
Huffington Post article on wheat
Weight Loss Simulator
Total rethink on dieting
New weight loss math

Recipe of the Week:
Warrigal Greens Frittata

Motivational Quote:
“Tell me what you eat, and I shall tell you what you are.” – Jean Brillat-Savarin

From Pinterest in the fitness section:

• “Sweat is fat crying”
  • “Exercise to be fit, not skinny. Eat to nourish your body and always ignore the haters, doubters and unhealthy examples that were once feeding you. You are worth more than you realize.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. 14 Responses to “Fat 2 Fit #141 – Eating Your Exercise Calories”

2. By adrian on Mar 15, 2012 | Reply

Hi guys just to let U know warrigal greens are a native spinach like vegetable here in Australia but it’s only become known more recently. There are lots of cool indigenous products being used now. Wattleseed and finger limes are interesting as well. Any way love your show and thanks from Genny in Australia

3. By TRogers on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

Just wanted to clear up something about “eating your exercise calories”, those apps should be using the BMR+ Sedentary activity level, then adding your exercise calories to the food you can eat that day would be fairly accurate.

I did a test of daily averages over a week, using your calculator and the LoseIt! App, and they came out to about the same. (Eating exercise calories vs not eating them)

4. By Russ Turley on Mar 21, 2012 | Reply

Thanks for the feedback. We just don’t recommend eat back ALL of your exercise calories and simplifying the whole endeavor. Using the activity multiplier and hitting the same calorie target everyday is much easier than trying to enter workouts into those apps as well.

5. By Pacho Gazpacho on Mar 23, 2012 | Reply

Though eliminating one thing out of your diet and hoping that it will be a magic trick for your weight loss is silly, in my personal experience, I find that minimizing how much wheat (and other processed grains) I eat certainly has a big impact on my weight loss and weight loss management. Loading yourself on the empty calories (like breads, pasta and bakery items) will not help your waistline that is for sure! Thanks for fantastic podcasts!

Pacho

6. By Faisal Nadeem Sheikh on Apr 23, 2012 | Reply

Hello guys im a listner from Pakistan and i just wanted to say that you guys have been doing a fantastic job.I have a question for you guys. Since my exams are upcoming i need to know how to keep my weight from spiralling out of controll during this period.

I hope to hear from you guys soon
    P.S. i feel great after hearing your podcasts and they help me study too.

7. By PhilT on May 5, 2012 | Reply

“Eating back all of your exercise calories” just wipes out the energy benefit of the exercise.

If the calories burned are overestimated then eaten back it also eats into the energy deficit for weight loss built into the calcs.

8. By Russ Turley on May 5, 2012 | Reply

Exactly Phil.

9. By Meredith Lewis on May 7, 2012 | Reply

Just checkin to make sure everyone is all right, it’s been a while since your last podcast.

10. By Hunter Copeland on May 8, 2012 | Reply

Guys-
    Still enjoying the show!

I actually interviewed Dr. Davis (author of What Belly) for my website. I thought your listeners might find it interesting. You can listen here: http://www.huntingforhealth.com/2011/11/hunting-for-health-8-dr-william-davis.html

Thanks for all you do!

11. By debjit on May 11, 2012 | Reply

Trough you nice article I came to know that weight is a balancing act, but the equation is simple: If you eat more calories than you burn then you gain weight. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight.

And I want to share this pages which I found helpful too,

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_diets

Thanks

12. By Vicky on May 13, 2012 | Reply

Just checking to see if you guys are ok because it’s been a while since your last podcast. I miss your podcasts :-)

13. By Marie on May 15, 2012 | Reply

can we expect Fat2Fit radio to start again?

Thanks
    Marie

14. By Laritza on May 17, 2012 | Reply

Good morning Russ,

Just wondering why there hasn’t been any new podcasts. I am so missing you guys!!! Hope everything is okay with you and Jeff and your families!

15. By Sidge on May 17, 2012 | Reply

I’m seconding what Meredith sent in … eagerly awating a new episode and hoping everything’s o.k.!