Fat 2 Fit #70 – Lifestyle Caused Diabetes

Written on July 22, 2009 – 12:00 pm | by Russ Turley

diabetesgraphOf the 20.8 million Americans with diabetes, 90 to 95 percent have type 2 Diabetes. Of these, half are unaware they have the disease. People with type 2 Diabetes, often develop the disease after age 45, but are not aware they have Diabetes until severe symptoms occur, or they are treated for one of its serious complications. Type 2 diabetes is nearing epidemic proportions, due to an increased number of older Americans, and a greater prevalence of obesity and a sedentary lifestyle. These statistics pretty accurately described listener Rocky. Back in February of 2009, Rocky sent us his story of being diagnosed with, living with and living through the complications of having type 2 diabetes. Sometimes we mention people that have had weight loss successes to motivate the audience to continue to improve health and lose weight. Sometimes one needs to take a sobering look at what can happen when you don’t take care of yourself.

In the show we talk a bit about metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance and their connection to type 2 diabetes, but mostly you’re going to hear Rocky’s story. Be sure to check out the links below to find out more about type 2 diabetes.

Links Mentioned in the Show:
American Diabetes Association
ADA page on Type 2 Diabetes
University of Virginia diabetes page
WebMD Type 2 Diabetes Overview
Mayo Clinic Type 2 Diabetes information

Homework:
The homework this week, is for people who have some of the symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome, to get a checkup from their Doctor to test to see if they have Diabetes. Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes is always the best line of action, but the second best line, is to get diagnosed early and start aggressive treatments before serious damage is done to your body. The symptoms of metabolic syndrome are being overweight, high blood pressure, high blood sugar, high colesterol, sedentary lifestyle. And if you are taking Xarelto look upĀ xarelto (rivaroxaban) lawsuit news. Play it safe and get checked out.

Listen here, or subscribe to automatically receive future shows.

Tags: , , , ,

1. 13 Responses to “Fat 2 Fit #70 – Lifestyle Caused Diabetes”

2. By Bob on Jul 22, 2009 | Reply

My Cardiologist warned me over a year ago that I was on the border of Metabolic Syndrome and probable type 2 Diabetes. I hear that people with metabolic syndrome have about a 75% chance of winding up with type 2 diabetes. My triglycerides were slightly over 100, HDL barely making the minimum acceptable, LDL too high and overweight, all markers for metabolic syndrome.

I started eating better, and doing cardio at least 5 days a week. ( riding my Trikke and my Rans recumbent bike) along with resistance training.

Now my cholesterol is excellent, triglycerides are 60, and total cholesterol is 130, with high HDL and low LDL. This shows that diet and exercise works. By the way, I am 68 years old. I am thrilled that I don’t have to worry about diabetes, and so are my doctors.

3. By Markku on Jul 23, 2009 | Reply

I was looking for the play button and it is there yet?

4. By Russ Turley on Jul 23, 2009 | Reply

It should be there now. Thanks for the heads up.

5. By Kimberly Dunn on Jul 23, 2009 | Reply

I am amazed at the wealth of information provided by your podcast. I download them from ITunes and listen while I take morning walks. Thanks for caring enough and sharing more than enough. Continue with what you are doing.

Kimberly, Largo Maryland

6. By Rocky on Jul 25, 2009 | Reply

Thank you for reading my story on the podcast. I hope that some listeners will find some type of use and maybe some guidance while they listen to it. I have been to a few clinics where feet and diabetes are the specialty. I have seen a few things that are a bit hard to stomach. I feel I am lucky.

Rocky

7. By terry on Jul 27, 2009 | Reply

As an RN, I see first hand the effects of diabetes. I have seen a lot of diseases in my career, and this is one that I have always said I would not want to get.
    As your fan, Rocky, said in his letter, the time you save _not_ taking care of the problem before it becomes full-blown diabetes is spent later dealing with the disease. He didn’t say that it is spent 3,4 or more times over by all the monitoring, Dr. Appts, care and education. It’s practically a full time job to take care of diabetes once you have it. It controls your life!
    AND, once you have it, even if you take good care of it, you will most likely experience the problems Rocky has been dealing with sooner or later. He mentions being lucky. This is true because he didn’t lose any limbs, he’s not on kidney dialysis, his heart is still o.k. But, if he can’t reverse the diabetes, these problems will still be down the road for him.
    The research I’ve heard presented says that of all the things to do to prevent diabetes, exercise seems to be the most powerful. If you feel you can only change one thing for now – getting into a regular fitness routine seems to give the biggest bang for your buck!
    And, as Russ and Jeff said, Get your bloodwork checked. There is no such thing as “pre diabetic” – if your values are high at all, take it very seriously – even if your Doctor thinks it’s not much of a problem.
    With Diabetes, preventing it is the sanest way to go. But it’s easy to not think about it until you find out that metabolic changes are happening in your body. So, everyone should have regular physicals, and if lack of insurance/money prevents this – keep your eyes out for free events that will do these routine tests for the public at no cost to you.

8. By Pamela on Jul 31, 2009 | Reply

Thank you so much for sharing Rocky’s story and talking about type 2 diabetes as a preventable and curable disease. As a type 1 diabetic who works very hard to manage the disease, I get frustrated with those who choose to ignore the signs and don’t work to treat their disease. I can do all the right things and it will help me manage my disease and reduce complications but it will never cure me. My wish is for everyone who heard this to do the homework and stop the progression of the disease while you still have the chance. While I often view my disease as a blessing in disguise (for making exercise and nutrition so important) I would give anything to be able to cure myself with lifestyle changes.

9. By Rocky on Aug 3, 2009 | Reply

Thank you Pamela.
    I can not even begin to imagine how it might be to manage type 1 diabetes. I have had a rough time getting my diabetes under control and keeping everything going as it should. I remember when I was first diagnosed. My fasting reading was 8.9 and the doctor said I caught it lower then most do. I am in Canada, we measure a bit differently then in the U.S. Then, I would feel dizzy at a reading of 7.5. But as time went on I got use to it and am slowly getting better. The dizziness passed and I am doing better all of the time. It takes time, patience and a lot of will power and I might ad a good friend in my wife.

Best of luck and care in your management of type 1 diabetes.

Rocky

10. By terry on Aug 10, 2009 | Reply

And then there’s another reason to avoid getting diabetes: At my hospital we automatically screen Diabetic patients who are admitted to the hospital for MRSA (methacillin resistant staph aureus – you know, that problematic antibiotic resistant bacteria) because it’s very common for diabetics to be carriers and ultimately infected with it.
    I look forward to the day that a real cure of diabetes is developed.

11. By Better Body Journal on Aug 22, 2009 | Reply

A friend of mine was recently diagnosed with Type 2, and he has been over weight for a long time. He’s been struggling, and it was only a matter of time before it caught up with him.

It’s troubling in overweight children because they are more at risk for Type 2, and as you can see from the data, Type 2 is exploding.

12. By Michele on Aug 25, 2009 | Reply

Terry,
    My doctor has me check my A1c every three months. They were doing much better recently, except that now I have started smoking. I plan to quit but am going on vacation very soon and know I will have a hard time during that time. So when I get back I will be on the patch. The question I have is it safe for pre-diabetics? I have heard that nicotine has an isidious effect on insulin and does not show up in your blood sugar readings. I try to eat well, walk about a half an hour a day, stay away from sugar as much as I can and am starting to incorporate wieghts and toning into my program. Your input would be welcome!

13. By Michele on Aug 25, 2009 | Reply

Oh and my last AC1 was 5.4 hdl 50, dld low and low cholesterol. But lately my bp has been a bit high off and on.

14. By terry on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

I’ve never heard of nicotine having any effect on blood glucose. Patches are prescribed based on your usual nicotine intake, so I can’t imagine that the patch would have a different effect than smoking cigarettes if any effect on glucose at all (our patient education info never mentions such a thing).
    But I CAN tell you that nicotine’s effect on your blood vessels are the biggest concern with diabetes. Since nicotine constricts the tiniest blood vessels in our bodies, it adds insult to injury in the case of diabetes where poorly regulated blood glucose damages these same vessels (hence the amputations, blindness, kidney damage etc from lack of good circulation). Diabetics who smoke accelerate this damage.
    Any effect on your blood glucose from using nicotine patches to stop smoking would be more than compensated for by the long term benefit of removing smoking from your lifestyle.
    As always, it is a good idea to consult your doctor or a pharmacist for more answers.
    I know it’s hard to quit smoking. Best of luck to you. Truly, it’s more important than even your weight loss when your a diabetic.