Fat 2 Fit Show #57 – Keeping It Off with Tom Venuto

Written on February 28, 2009 – 6:00 am | by Jeff Ainslie

Image of The Body Fat Solution bookWe don’t have a weight loss problem here in America. We know that millions of people are successful in losing weight every year.  The problem is that people can’t keep it off.  More than 90% of all people who lose weight end up gaining it all back.

Today we have part two of our interview with weight loss expert Tom Venuto.  We discuss his findings and beliefs about how people can be more successful with not only their weight loss, but the most important part which is maintaining their weight loss.  Tom Venuto takes a different approach to long term weight loss than most. He is most concerned with the mental aspect of weight loss. Why do so many people not succeed when they know exactly what they need to do to be successful? What is causing them to not follow through with their diet and exercise plans?  We discuss in detail some of the strategies to overcome these self limiting beliefs and actions that hold people back.

We discuss Tom Venuto’s first book, “Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle” which brought Tom into the fitness spotlight with its phenomenal success.  It turns out that this book was very successful for people who could follow all of its advice, but it only attracted a certain type of person.  People who were very interested in measuring and calculating macronutrients and calories had incredible results.

We then move on to discuss Tom Venuto’s new book, “The Body Fat Solution” which was released in January, 2009.  This book has quickly become a best seller and is geared towards the average out-of-shape person who needs to lose some body fat, but isn’t interested in living a perfect athletic lifestyle.  The interesting thing about this book, is that the focus is keeping you on track mentally, so that you can be successful for the long term.  As well, instead of giving you a specific diet program, you learn about the large principles that will allow you to choose a diet plan for yourself.

Some of the topics that we discuss related to “The Body Fat Solution” include:
– The differences between emotional and physical hunger.
– The power of willpower vs beliefs.
– How much our genetics really influence our weight.
– The most important principles to follow for life-long weight loss success.
– Diet supplements and other minutia that people get hung up on.

In our email and comments section, we deal with a lengthy email from Julie who has some questions about Weight Watcher’s alternatives online, and how to get motivated to exercise after a long day at work.

Links Mentioned in the Show:
Tom Venuto’s Main Website
Burn The Fat, Feed The Muscle E-Book
The Body Fat Solution
The Daily Plate online diet and exercise tracker
Traineo online diet and exercise tracker
(Fat 2 Fit support is also hosted on Traineo)
Gyminee online diet and exercise tracker

Recipe of the Week
Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa

Homework:
The homework this week is to make sure that you have some sort of success journal where you can keep track of the things that you are recording such as your weight, body fat percentage and measurements. It can be something simple like a small journal, agenda or even a regular calendar that you write on. Even if your progress seems slow on a daily or weekly basis, you can always look back over the weeks and months and see the progress that you have made.

Listen here, or subscribe to automatically receive future shows.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. 12 Responses to “Fat 2 Fit Show #57 – Keeping It Off with Tom Venuto”

2. By Andree on Mar 2, 2009 | Reply

Hi Russ & Jeff,

Thanks for the great job you both do. F2F is one of my favorite podcasts, and I really appreciate and support you both.

I keep having this thought with each episode: What do you think about having a check-in with each of you each week?

For Russ it has been about his weight loss goal. Maybe there is something Jeff is working toward as a goal where he could also give an update.

This might be a nice way to expand the friendship quality that you both bring to the show. It might also highlight how health and fitness success involves principles and practices that apply throughout our lives.

Thanks again, and all my best to both of you!
    Andree

3. By Russ Turley on Mar 2, 2009 | Reply

I like that idea.

I lost track of Jeff’s apple goal from 2008. He also is doing a Diet Coke reduction effort and a burpee challenge. Both he can update us on at each show.

Thanks for the comment.

4. By Bev Shahab on Mar 3, 2009 | Reply

This was a great interview and inspired me to purchase, Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle, which I am eager to begin reading today. (I think I may lose 10 pounds today just by printing out the 341 page e-book and compiling it into a binder! I kid!) Being female, I would have NEVER purchased an e-book such as this had I not heard Tom Venuto’s interview on Fat to Fit Radio. I have listened to every single F2F episode multiple times, and I trust Jeff and Russ to give me honest information. You guys are a breath of fresh air!

I have already lost 45 lbs. in the past 10 months through a moderate calorie restricted diet and walking, but am eager to learn more about fat loss. Being extremely driven and highly motivated and 24 lbs. “overweight”, I would like to be healthy and have strong muscles. I don’t want to end up as a “skinny fat” person once I lose the rest of the weight.

Thanks, guys! I sincerely appreciate your work on the podcast.
    Bev

5. By John Sanderson on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

Thanks for getting the interview. I really enjoyed it.

You guys have been no less than spectacular over the last couple of years and I can’t thank you enough for all of the great infomation you provide.

I will also be getting Tom’s book. He also has a lot of great information on his blog.

6. By Bridgett on Mar 9, 2009 | Reply

I just wanted to thank you for the great interview with Tom Venuto. It was VERY motivating for me. I bought his book, The Body Fat Solution, right after you last show and I am reading it now.

Thanks so much for all the hard work you put into your podcasts. You are doing a great job!

7. By jheo on Mar 15, 2009 | Reply

good morning tom,thank you very much for the information and i am so encourage to continue my journey of losing weight. I hope you can help me pursuing my goal. thanks very much

8. By Cynthia on Mar 15, 2009 | Reply

Thank you for the great interview with Tom Venuto. I enjoy lessening to him and reading his book. I also receive all his newsletters. Being able to lessen to your radio show is now going to be one of my weekly habits. I really enjoyed lessening.
    Keep up your weight goal and the wonderful show.

9. By Dawn on Mar 15, 2009 | Reply

You say that I should eat my goal weight maintenance calories. Would that be without or with activity?

I exercise 5 to 6 days a week and have for many years. My Maintainence calories is 1620 but with moderate activity its 2093. Hopefully I calulated those correctly.

My goal is 135 at 5 foot 7. Which should be my calorie goal and should it be less on my rest day? Thanks for your help.

10. By manal on Mar 16, 2009 | Reply

iam famal120kg 157cm after reading yuor email I start exrs 3days per week i lost5 kg in 2week thaks for your advice.

11. By Miley on Mar 21, 2009 | Reply

One thing about Weight watchers – it is pretty easy to learn, very focused on the lifestyle “not a diet” thinking that matches up with some of the great ideas you guys are promoting AND when you get to goal weight and maintain for 6 weeks the member acheives Lifetime status and MEETINGS ARE FREE. This is a brilliant design and many of us need that ongoing support.

It is a nuance that really matters to some of us who have had success and want to continue to find support with the WW program.

Your program rocks. I am a newcomer and love it.
    thx

12. By Angie on Mar 24, 2009 | Reply

I have listened to your podcasts for several months now and I want to thank you for all that you do. You have some really good suggestions that I have implemented in my own plan to continue my weight loss/maintenance. I had a question that I hope you could address.

When listening to this podcast I heard that Tom suggested waiting out the hunger when you are feeling it between meals. I know when I adjust my calorie intake based on my revised weight loss goals I do feel the hunger pains during that first week. My problem is that while my body is adjusting to that lower calorie intake if I ignore those pains and wait it out I get really nauseated. Would you suggest eating a small snack of raw veggies or fruit to keep that feeling at bay? I know the ultimate goal is to get the calories down but I find that if I ignore the hunger I get sick and ultimately end up eating more.

HELP!

I also wanted to send you another free tool for tracking that I thought you could share your opinions on. The site is http://www.sparkpeople.com. They have a nutrition tracker, fitness/calorie tracker, groups to join for support and questions as well as health and wellness articles. For those fo us who are trying to use the tracking tools without paying the high prices I found this to be a valuable tool. I also liked the fact that I could enter a food that I did not find or as you had mentioned in your podcast they also had the ability to create food groupings that represented meals you ate on a regular basis. Let me know your thoughts. I am interested in how this site compares to others you have used.

A little about myself…

I am a working mom of 3 (8,5,and 2 yrs.). I realized after child #1 that I was way too FAT! 181 pounds and 5ft. 1 in. was not wroking for me. I have whittled that weight down over the past few years and another 2 kids and have managed to get down to about 135-140. My starting pants size was a 16 and I am down to a 6 or an 8. Right before child number 3 I was a sixe 4 and I desperately want to take off those last few pounds around the middle to get there again! I work out 3 times a week at Curves and I really love the support of my workout buddies. They keep me motivated. I am trying to add more to my routine and will go back to my lunchtime walks when the weather warms back up a bit. I am proud of what I have acheived thus far and want MORE!

You guys have a great show that is designed for the normal everyday person who is trying to make good choices. You are down to earth and make suggestions that fit the lifestyle of almost everyone. I really appreciate that! Pat yourselves on the back – you do a fabulous job!

13. By Rachel on Apr 10, 2009 | Reply

Good morning Russ & Jeff! I’ve been a listening for about 6 months now after finding you on iTunes & I love the show! I bought season 1 and I’m all caught up now. You guys are so motivating and inspiring! I wish you much sucess.

I want to Thank you for the great interview with Tom. I have struggled with my weight for years (I’m almost 33, 5’8 and range from 185 to 205 lbs with my inconsistent diet/exercise), and he hit the nail on the head with I know what to do to lose weight, but I’m not doing it and can’t figure out why. My main problem is not being consistent with diet or exercise. I’ve known for awile it’s a mental block, but I wasn’t sure how to overcome it. I’m buying his The Body Fat Solution today and I hope it will help me break through this block.

I tell all my friends and family about your show. You guys are doing a great thing and you should know you’re really touching peoples’ lives!

Thanks again! I always look forward to the next show.

Rachel